Prospector is a service that extends the collections of over 40 large and small, academic, public and special libraries in Colorado and Wyoming, including Fort Lewis College. Through Prospector, those with Fort Lewis College library accounts can efficiently borrow materials from other Prospector member libraries. With a single search you can identify and borrow materials from the collections and have them delivered to to Reed Library. For a list of participating member libraries and more information, see Additional Info About Prospector.
Rapid, self-service borrowing is available to authorized users, in good standing at any of the participating libraries. The system allows you to borrow most items that already circulate at local libraries. This does not include journals and many libraries do not loan videos and other audiovisual materials. All items that are identified as "Local Use Only" in the unified catalog, cannot be requested through Prospector. When you find what you want, just choose the "Request This Item" option and follow the instructions on the screen. Your request will be processed within a few days and the item will be delivered to John F. Reed Library. When the item is received (usually within 4-7 days), you will be sent a notice by mail or email informing you of the item's arrival. The general policies which apply to materials delivered through Prospector include:
- 21 day loan period
- 1 renewal
- $100 will be charged for lost books ($75 lost book fee plus $25 processing charge)
- Up to 40 requests/check-outs per person
- Overdue fines will be charged for late returned Prospector items.
- If all copies of materials are checked-out a hold may be placed although books may not be recalled.
- This service is available to all Fort Lewis students, faculty and staff, and local patrons 18 years and older with a local Colorado Driver's License. You must be currently registered at the John F. Reed Library in order to request items through Prospector. To register, come to the Library Circulation desk and we will input the necessary information into our online circulation system.
- Click on "Renew Materials" on the library homepage in order to review the status of your Prospector requests, renew checked-out items, or cancel any Prospector requests you may no longer need.
- If you have any problems connecting to Prospector, please contact a circulation supervisor at 247-7052.