Services For Faculty
The central mission of John F. Reed Library is to support the Fort Lewis College curriculum. To that end, the library faculty would like to encourage you to contact your library liaison (a specific library faculty member designated to work closely with you in your disciplinary area) to discuss the following ways in which we can be of assistance to you with materials, services, and research instruction.
Materials: In the current budget environment, Reed library is forced to make many difficult choices in order to ensure continued access to resources that support the curriculum. The increasing costs of acquiring books, periodicals, and database subscriptions, combined with decreasing budgets, necessitates careful consideration of every dollar spent. We encourage you to establish a dialog with your library liaison to discuss the resources you most need for your students. If you do not already do so regularly, we also encourage you to submit to your library liaison book order cards for materials you know your students will use. Your liaison can provide you with cards upon request.
Services: There are a variety of services that we are happy to provide to you as a faculty member, including updates on materials acquisitions, database training, or creation of web based research guides for individual courses. Liaisons are also available to provide new faculty members with individualized orientations to the library and its services.
Research Instruction: Librarians are available to teach students how to use specialized library databases, print materials, and Internet resources at the time it is most effective: when the students are starting their research projects. We hope you will contact us to assist with making the best of our students’ research experiences.
Further Information. Library liaisons are available to meet with faculty members individually or with academic departments to discuss how the library can support you and your students. Please visit the Faculty Services portion of the library’s web site for further details
Selected library services and resources especially useful to Fort Lewis College faculty are listed below.
- Renewals: Your Check-out Record from the Library Catalog.
- Help: Ask a Librarian - e-mail reference assistance. See also live chat links on this web site.
- Instruction Library Instruction Form - request research instruction for a course.
- Interlibrary Loan Request (CLiO)- request to borrow materials from another Library.
- Video Reservations (Faculty use only) - reserve library videos for classes.
- Faculty Information on Library Reserves
- About library instruction for individual classes
- Library liaisons to academic departments
- Suggestions for library research assignments
- Site map
Updated by mds on December 16, 2011